Friday 3 October 2008

The Practical Issues

In the VLE where this discussion began Tina suggested some prompts for us to begin to think about how we might go about setting up this association, from reading all the comments so far on both the VLE and the Blog I agree that we should return to these prompts and begin to answer them systematically.

However, while I agree these issues are important ones to think about I must reiterate that I don’t think it’s appropriate for those of us who have contributed so far to make any decisions before we have done the work of engaging as many other practitioners as possible to participate in this discussion. I do however agree that we can’t just keep on talking and I’m not suggesting that, what I do suggest however is that we start to look at timelines for discussions to begin and end. With this in mind I think we should give ourselves one week from today to email as many of our contacts who work in the field and invite them to join the discussion. I suggest a deadline for spreading the word as Friday 10th October. After that date I think we will have demonstrated that we have given others the opportunity to join and it would then be appropriate to vote on the other matters outlined by Tina. I have taken the liberty of taking Tina’s original questions and adapting them to include the concerns raised throughout the discussions.

Name of the Association
Paid subscription/membership – other funding options
Format of management committee/steering group/core team
Roles and responsibilities of all members
Constitution
Regularity of face to face meetings – national and regional
Website – NIACE support or independent
Issues and Concerns – the activist professional
Any other business

I also think we should be looking at building a ‘database’ of our particular areas of experience/expertise so that we can decide on the best people to take forward particular pieces of work. For example Rosie recommends Sharon for setting up the website either with independent funding or in partnership with NIACE. I think this is a great idea as Rosie is obviously aware of Sharon’s expertise in this area. I also get the impression that Brian knows a thing or two about business matters so I think it’s important that we all recognise that everyone has something valuable to contribute. Again I think we need a timeline for adding this information and I think the 26th would also be suitable to ensure that by the beginning of November we are ready to vote on all the major issues with as much input as possible from the widest range of sources within the field.

Catherine

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Catherine's idea of the database is an excellent one. I think we could use the wiki to do this - does anyone know about spreadsheets? I think we could probably incoporate a spreadsheet into the wiki but this is beyond my technical expertise. Can anyone help?

gerryreiki said...

I can pull together a spreadsheet; I could start with the people who have already been identified, i.e.Sharon and Brian, if they are agreeable. Others can add their information as and when or if they'd rather, let me have the details and I'll add the info. If anyone has an idea of other ways of laying it out, please respond on our blog. Would it be a good idea to also have a spreadsheet of names and e-mails of all TQALers, I'm not sure if its necessary or not, what do others think? Only possible thing against this is that everyone's e-mail would be available to anyone and everyone viewing the site.
gerry

Catherine Watt said...

Hi there
Is there any way to stop that happening? Could the Wiki be just for our eyes only? This is obviously where a members website would come in handy. I know that university lecturing staff do this sort of thing and their details can be accessed by anyone - I'm not sure how people feel about this.
Catherine

Catherine Watt said...

Hi there
I've been checking out how we go about setting up as an association and according to the SCVO the steps are as follows:

Identify an unmet need,
Establish a steering group,
Set out mission, vision and values,
Draw up a plan,
Prepare a constitution,
Decide on legal standing.

Ok first of all - who wants to be part of the steering group?
Second - do we want to meet up to draw up our misson statement and establish our vision and values or can we continue to do this via the blog?

I think Brian suggested meeting to draw up a plan anyway so maybe we should think about a one day activity in a location that suits??

What areas are we all in?

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Great. So, the development of the steering group is the next step. Let's establish that first and then move to step 2. From speaking to others in the field it seems that the reason that few people are contributing to some of the issues is that they do not feel they want to be involved in the nitty gritty of business plans and strategic planning. They are passionate about contributing to it once it is set up but not to the actual process of setting it up. I think this is fair enough. Steering group people where are you??? As far as I can see so far Catherine, Tina, Annette have volunteered to be part of it? Any more takers? How many do you think we need in the steering group 6,10,15? Preferrably there would be representation from each geographical area.

Rosie said...

This is the first time I have logged on this week and although there has been some great input we do not appear to be any further forward from a practical viewpoint. The main concensus seems to be setting up a steering group. I feel that this can only be effectively achieved by organising a date and venue and finding out who is willing/able to attend.

Qualities required are good communication/collaboration skills, organisational skills, ICT and Finance.

All those in favour of Glasgow say aye!!! Alternatives?????

gerryreiki said...

I would be happy to be in on the steering group

Alan R said...

I would like to volunteer my help. My time is limited at present as I'm moving to a new job (hopefully not short term!) and am currently studying for my CELTA award(to help combat short termism!) so, as I say, my time is limited. However, I'm up for helping in whatever way I can.

Catherine Watt said...

Hi there
Aileen and Sharon mentioned that we need to be careful that this is representative of practitioners across Scotland and I agree so I'm not sure Glasgow is the best place to meet how about somewhere in the middle - say stirling - and then does anyone have any contacts in stirling - forth valley college for example who could contribute a room free of charge? We could also think about using a video conferencing type set up for those who can't be there in person (just a thought, though I appreciate not everyone will have access to equipment).
Catherine